Whether it is your first serious job, a change of career or even a sideways step within your own industry, how can this best be done?
It is always easy to be negative: you don’t have the right experience; you will have to start from the beginning again; you wont add a lot of value; your CV doesn’t match what employers are looking for…
There is some truth in all of this of course, BUT there are ways in which you can help yourself if you are aiming to find a job a bit out of your comfort zone. Some advice on this is below:
– Firstly, be positive. Sounds obvious but if you don’t believe in yourself then for sure no-one else will!
– Ensure you have some relevant experience or skills for the position you want to apply for. This might mean you having to acquire some training outside your current job.
– Spell it out on your CV! Don’t expect anyone reading your CV to decipher your skills and how they could potentially match what they are looking for. Make it easy for them and never rely on a cover letter that may never be read
– Be proactive. Don’t expect to change your career by simply applying for jobs online. This often results in some sort of CV matching which will inevitably count you out. Ring the companies you want to work for; network in the right areas; attend relevant shows and of course work with experienced and market leading recruitment companies that really understand your industry and the sector you want to move into. It is amazing the difference this will make.
– Think out of the box and be creative. Write an employer a letter. Suggest going in on a lower salary and higher commission to be selected. Send someone a video clip of you and something about your career. It may not be easy but it WILL be recognised.
– Once you get an interview; prepare fully for this. You have to ensure your skills shine in a way other candidates don’t! Show passion and desire for the role and WHY you want it so much.
– Follow up, don’t be downhearted and be persistent!
For more expertise in this area, please feel free to contact me to discuss anything confidentially.
0203 637 9840